Choose a character and….
- Describe the character at the beginning of the film: The character Lester at the beginning of the film was unhappy and not content with his life. He seemed miserable and looked like he didn’t want to be alive.
- Include visual/verbal features features to support your description: A quote from Lester that backs up my statement about him not having any value in his life is “feel like I’ve been in a coma for the past twenty years. And I’m just now waking up.” and/or “Look at me, jerking off in the shower… This will be the high point of my day; it’s all downhill from here.
- Identify and describe the event or person that influenced a change in the character: When Lester met Angela his whole perspective on life changed, Angela was his daughters good friend. The event was at his daughters cheerleading performance when he met Angela.
- Explain how the character changed: Lester changed as he turned around his lookout on his life. He started working out, buying the things that he always wanted i.e his favourite car and he started standing up for himself to the people that put him down i.e standing up to his wife and also quitting his job.
- Include visual/verbal features: Lester standing up yo his wife Carolyn “This isn’t life, it’s just stuff. And it’s become more important to you than living. Well, honey, that’s just nuts.” When Lester was telling hs family that he quit his job “Lose it? I didn’t lose it. It’s not like, “Whoops! Where’d my job go?” I QUIT.” Janie today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go fuck himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars.”
- Explain the outcome of this change. What did the character learn from this? The outcome of Lester’s change ended positive because eventually he became content and happy with the way his life had turned out. He did sadly get murdered but in the end he died happy, he wasn’t angry nor upset with his life. He learnt how to not care as much and that things don’t matter as much as he thought they did, he also learnt to stand up for himself and didn’t let people walk all over him.